Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I traveled with my toddler and lived to tell the tail

So until very recently, I hadn't gone anywhere with Finn.

Really.  No trips at all.  And he was 16 months old.

Which was...weird?  Maybe? 

In my defense.  He really really hated the car the first year of his life.  And we had slept over at my mom's, but she's only 45 minutes away.  That was pretty much are farthest outing.

But for Easter this year I sucked it up and we headed up to the in-laws in Nashville.  Four hours each way in the car, away for two nights.

And it was...okay.  The car ride up actually went all right.  We left right after the baby got up and although someone had to sit in the back and work hard to entertain him he stayed pretty happy.  We only stopped once at a McDonald's and let him wander around and eat massive amounts of ketchup.

Being there was fine, although he had trouble with the mere hour of time difference (which really just highlighted that he/we does better when we stick to his schedule).  Being in a non baby proofed house also was without incident.

Admittedly, the drive back was a disaster.  This time we tried to time it with his one nap and he just could not fall asleep.  He screamed for an hour and a half.  Finally the combination of exhaustion and me jiggling and jiggling his chair back and forth put him to sleep, but he still roused himself screaming every ten minutes.

So that was less than fun, but we did it.  And we survived.

And now I have three more trips on the horizon.  I've gone trip crazy.  Boston, Destin, and Seattle.  Flying, driving, flying.  How they go remains to be seen.

1 comment:

LeahKS said...

Where have you been?
I used to read Leisure Girl, and, busy as I may be, I realized that I really missed that!

If you're still somewhere out there in the world, I'd be interested in just a random update once in a while on what you're doing! I thought of you, too, because I follow FYA (Forever Young Adult) and it sounds like something you'd be into, too! (This is NOT an advertisement - don't go if you don't want to! But you want to!) :)

Did you go back to work after Finn? Have you had any more kids?

Fill us in! :)
LeahKS from RandomHarvester & thepinklibrary