Monday, December 21, 2009

Mama said there’d be days (or two…or five…or seven…) like this

Finn has been a terror lately.

And that’s saying something, because he is something of a hellion to begin with (and I say that with love).

Now he’s up at least once an hour all night, sometimes crying and screaming, taking maybe two 20 minute naps a day and generally being fussy and clingy all day.

Why? Why? Why?

Babies need to come with little display panels. It could be like on The Sims where you could tell they were hungry or bored or needed to pee. It would make life a lot simpler.

I am hoping this is teething or demon possession and not just his personality. I am into a week of almost no sleep and it is not making me a particularly happy or functioning woman.

Right now I just quietly chant “it’s a phase, it’s a phase” over and over. I’m too tired to really do much to try and change anything, so I am going for the “this will resolve itself with time” method.

We shall see if I’m right.

4 comments:

Lori E said...

I would be fussy and clingy all day if I wasn't sleeping at night too.
My sons are grown but I remember being told to feed kids protein close to bedtime to help them stay asleep. I don't know what foods he has had but cheese, chicken could be options. Probably too young for peanut butter.
It is an easy thing to try. Good luck and remember this too shall pass....and then he will be a teenager and believe it or not you will look back on this time and think about how easy it was back then.

LeahKS said...

I love that you relate your kids to the Sims. My husband and I joke about that all the time. Also, what about teeth? Are there teeth involved in this current hellishness?
My son is 2.5 and I still feel like I know nothing, but I will happily contribute any little bit of information to your pool of helpful advice.

Finn's Mom said...

It really just comes and goes - he is such a difficult sleeper and I don't really know why. Some nights are better than others, it's just hard when there are several hard nights back to back to back. But I do try to remember that I will miss the cuddling to sleep when he's older.

faith ann raider said...

Oh bless your heart! Sleep deprivaton is just the worst. How is he doing now? Hope it gets better soon!