Monday, February 8, 2010

In which we go to the gym and my child becomes a banshee

I have a dream.

In it, I can once again belong to the Y.  I loved the Y, once upon a time (also known as before I had a child).  I used to go all the time.  Yoga, pilates, aerobics..I loved the classes.  And I knew they had a nursery that you could start taking the baby to when he/she was 6 weeks old. 

"Great!" pregnant (and stupid) me thought, "once the baby is six weeks, I will head back to the gym and he can go to the nursery...he'll be happy and I'll get to work out."

Oh poor, stupid, pregnant me. 

Of course, then the baby was born and I barely left my house for three months.  And the thought of leaving my baby with strangers?  Not so much.  So I bid a sad farwell to the gym.

But now the little one is over a year and I thought it was time to try again.  So today I went back with a seven day guest pass and tried dropping Finn in the nursery.  From the second I handed him off he started to scream.  I can't entirely blame him.  He and I have been apart for probably under 20 hours his entire life.  And then he was with his father or grandmother.  But here I just had to hand him to someone and walk away.

I gave it 15 minutes, but when he was still crying I went and got him.  I'm going to try everyday this week and see if he gets to like it anymore.  If not, the dream of gym time will have to wait until he's a little older.

This will not be me anytime soon, it appears....

1 comment:

Lori E said...

Stay and play with him a few times. Then go home. Work up to the part where you leave.