Friday, February 5, 2010

Making friends...an uphill battle

I had a group of very close girl friends in high school.

I just didn't know I was peaking, friendwise.

I made a few good friends in college, one of whom is still my closest friend.  And then...not so much...

I've been out of college for about eight years and have really struggled with the finding friends thing.  We've moved around some, but I've been here five years now, so I can't really use that as an excuse.

It's just hard to find someone you have great friend chemistry with.  I feel like I'm still dating.  I have met a lot of nice moms, but I want that best friend closeness, or even really good friend closeness.  It's hard to be patient.

And one of my current favorite mom's is about to move.  As did the last good friend I made here.

Is it something I am doing?  Am I somehow driving people from the state?

Do I sound needy?  That's always a turnoff, I am sure.

Nothing to do but keep trying I guess.  Hopefully I will be at a playgroup and lock eyes with someone across a crowded room of babies and we'll both just know we're meant to be the best of friends.

Cross your fingers.

2 comments:

Lori E said...

Wow this is a tough one. I think we get very few best friends in life. Unlike when we are children and every week it is someone new.
It may be a bit better to have several buddies to hang with than a best friend forever sort of relationship at this point in your life. People to listen to when THEY have a tough day. Of course no one wants to hear it all the time but the best way to have a friend is to be a friend. That being said you don't need any toxic people in your life. Those that suck the joy and happiness out of every day.
I have also found that some of the best friends I have I end up not seeing very often so when we do it is much more special.
I hope I don't sound like a know it all. It is just that I am somewhat older than you and have been through some stuff that can be eyeopening.

faith ann raider said...

I know! I know! It's SO hard to find a good mom-friend. And it feels like a basic necessity to LIFE! You might want to try a MOPS group? The biggest thing that I have learned is that it takes a LOT of innitiative to create a close friendship. You have to invite them over a LOT and be patient. A good friendship takes some time. Good luck!